God Knows My Name

To know that God knows my name is something that is a great source of encouragement to me and I have been thinking about it often lately. Yes, I have known this great Biblical truth for years, but it has become even more real to me over the last several weeks. Just think about it - the God of this vast universe knows me personally by name. The God who made the heavens and the earth knows me by name!

Psalm 139 is a beautiful passage of Scripture and the truths contained in it are thought provoking. To even see on paper in God's Word the thoughts that God has concerning me is intriguing.

Read Psalm 139 and meditate for a few moments on the great truths contained in these verses:

"O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. 2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. 3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. 5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it. 7 ¶ Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. 12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. 13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. 15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. 16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. 17 ¶ How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! 18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee. 19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men. 20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain. 21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? 22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies. 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

The Psalmist in Psalm 8:4 asked God the question “Who am I that You are mindful of me?” Who am I? Who are you? We are God's choice creation. As born again believers we are His children. Yes, God is mindful of us and we are so important to Him that He engraved us on the palms of His hands.

Isaiah 49:16 - "Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands;..."

We are so significant to the Father that He indeed calls us by name! Take comfort in this blessed truth.

Comments

Angie Tullock said…
Awesome passage and Psalm 139:14 I hold very close to my heart. In times of discouragement or I am tempted to compare myself with others, I am reminded that he made me, knows me by name and thinks I am wonderful!!
Diane Teague said…
Isn't it great that God loves us so much. I am amazed that He would love someone so undeserving as myself. It makes me love Him even more. We are truly blessed people.
Kim said…
Beautiful scriptures. This post encouraged me.

I love you so much and am sooo glad to be back home from my travels. God is so good to our family.

Popular Posts