My Little Dipper

This past Thursday night Kim, Claire and I went out to eat at one of my favorite restaurants - The Carriage House on Straftord Road in Winston-Salem. Kim and I both grew up eating at the original Carriage House that was across the street from where it is now. The Carriage House was the first restaurant Kim and I took Claire to as a newborn baby. We consider George, one of the owners, to be a good friend and the food is always excellent. Everybody at church knows that it is one of my favorite restaurants and we usually get quite a few gift cards from there every year which we really appreciate. In fact we are still using gift cards we were given as Christmas gifts. Because we know so many of the staff and even the customers who frequently eat there it is always an enjoyable place to eat and to see friends. One night someone asked one of the waitresses who we were, thinking we might be someone special even though we are not, because so many people were coming by our table to speak to us.

If you haven't eaten at The Carriage House consider trying it sometime. Be sure to ask for George and tell him Pastor Ken Harris sent you. It won't get you a discount, but don't worry - it won't get me one either.

One of our favorite things about this restaurant is that they make their own salad dressings. I always get french and Kim gets blue cheese. Kim says they have better blue cheese salad dressing than any other restaurant. I believe that Claire agrees. She couldn't get enough of it. She called it dip. She tried mine but wanted Kim's instead.
Anybody who has eaten very often with me knows that it is more about what I put on my food than the food itself. I love sauces and dips - especially Texas Pete! Isn't God good to have blessed this world with this wonderful product made right here in Winston-Salem, NC! Claire has picked up this same habit. She always wants some kind of dip with everything she eats. Fortunately she hasn't picked up the Texas Pete habit yet! For now she is occupied with ranch, honey mustard, and many other dips.
The other picture is Claire eating the bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup that George brought to her. Claire likes sweets also - especially if it has chocolate! Thanks George! Hopefully we will see you soon.

Comments

Kim said…
Now I have 2 people requesting "dip" with their food no matter what I bother to cook.

I have always said that I should just through some food together and put Texas Pete on it and not try to fix a nice meal. Everything tastes the same to you because it tastes like Texas Pete!

We better not introduce Texas Pete to Claire for a long while.

I love both my dippers!
Jennifer said…
I think it is so great that Claire loves bleu cheese dressing from the Carriage House because I think that is a Teague trait. Every special occassion my family had growing up we went to the Carriage House. Now Jeremy and I love it too and my family still celebrates a lot of special occassions there.
Diane Teague said…
And the tradition goes on.

I remember the first time Jennifer ordered bleu cheese while out with my mother. My mother told her she could not get it because she wouldn't like it. Little did she know she had been eating it since she was about Claire's age.

There is no place like the Carriage House. I can remember setting Kim up on the table in her baby carrier. What memories we have there.
Angie Tullock said…
I'm sure Claire was in "sweet heaven". Looks yummy! Wish I had some icecream.
Pam said…
I have never been to the Carriage House, but I do love blue cheese dressing, so we'll have to go! Do they have a "kids eat free" night, by any chance?
KyleAmandaLogan said…
One of my favorite places to eat. We went to the older building with my grandparents, seemed like every weekend! My favorite is the cheese!! So very yummy!! We haven't been there in a while, so thanks for planting the idea in my head again. I can always go for the cheese. I'm with you, I love French dressing. Thanks for sharing the pictures...Claire is growing up so fast and I enjoy the pictures.

When we go, and we ask for George, do you think I can get the same dessert? Or do I have to have a cute kid with me?? If so, can I borrow her?
Anonymous said…
Dear Pastor Ken,

Thank you so much for writing this blog, it is great. I really love reading about the details of your family's life. As for the line "someone asked one of the waitresses who we were, thinking we might be someone special even though we are not," I must tell you: "YES YOU ARE". You, Kim, and Claire are very special to me, and I am so glad people in this area recognize you and know your reputation/testimony. I am very thankful that UGBC has been blessed by God in sending us you as our Pastor, and Kim and Claire as our pastor's family. When you sign your "letters from the pastor" in the bulletin you say "You are loved", well that goes the same to you, Kim and Claire from me, one of the many UGBC family members, who feel the same.

Virlyn Phelps

Popular Posts