A Good Friend & Great Example Has Gone Home!

On Saturday someone that I considered to be a good friend and great example went to be with the Lord. When I received the voicemail about his home going my heart was saddened that we were never again to fellowship here on earth. In fact I had been seeking the Lord's leadership concerning future guest preachers and Dr. James Rushing was one of the preachers I wanted to have return to Union Grove. Every time he has come to Union Grove God has used him to be a great blessing to me and our Church family. Even though I will not fellowship with him or hear him preach again on earth I do not have to say good-bye, only good night for I shall see him again in glory.

I was first introduced to Dr. Rushing when I was student at Tennessee Temple University between the years of 1982 and 1986. Dr. Rushing was one of the most memorable speakers who spoke in chapel while I was a student at TTU. I can still remember his message on "Why I Am A Fundamentalist." It spoke to my heart and I am glad to say when it comes to my position concerning Biblical truth that I still consider myself a fundamentalist. Men like Dr. Rushing represent the best of our independent Baptist heritage and inspire me to want to hold to that position while many young preachers are forsaking it today. I will always be grateful for his old fashioned, but still practical and relevant preaching of God's Word. His love for God and for people was evident in and out of the pulpit. It was apparent that this love was always his motivation behind his preaching and personal words. Yesterday one of the ladies of our church sang a beautiful song that I have never heard before. As she sang I thought of Dr. Rushing and of how these words so adequately describe his life.

"Do They See Jesus In Me"

"Do they see Jesus In Me

Do they recognize Your face

Do I communicate Your love, and Your grace

Do I reflect who You are In the way I choose to be

Do they see Jesus In Me"

"Now I want to show all the world who You are

The reason I live and breathe

So You'll be the One that they see

When they see me"

My wife, Kim, and I are praying for the family. Our prayers are with his precious wife and companion in life and ministry. To Dr. Rushing's children I would say I know what it is to say good night to my father who passed away three years ago at the age of 71 after a brief battle with cancer. Whenever I think of never seeing my dad again, of never hearing his encouraging words or never benefiting from his advice I quickly begin to think of the word forever. Thank God our separation on earth is only temporary. One day we will enjoy forever together! "Even so, come, Lord Jesus." (Rev. 22:20)

Obituary – Dr. James P. Rushing

Dr. James P. Rushing, 72, of Griffin, GA, passed away September 20, 2008. Dr. Rushing was born March 27, 1936, in Bessemer, Alabama, to Selby K. Rushing and Mae Black Rushing. He served as pastor for twenty-eight years and was in evangelism for the past seventeen years.. He also taught at West Coast Baptist College in Lancaster, California, for two years. He has a home in Griffin, GA, and in Lancaster, CA. He was a member of King’s Way Baptist Church in Douglasville, GA.

Dr. Rushing is survived by his wife of fifty-two years, Betty Jean Harbin Rushing; four daughters, Trish (David) McCoy, of McDonough, GA, Pam (Rick) Nelson, of Gardendale, AL, Glory (Ron) Clapp of Griffin, GA, and Christiana (Randy) Topping, of McDonough, GA, and one son, Jim (Lynda) Rushing, of Chesapeake, VA; eleven grandchildren; one sister, Jo Ann Como, and three brothers, Selby K. “Bud” (Barbara) Rushing, Bobby (Carolyn) Rushing, and Richard (Sue) Rushing. Dr. Rushing was preceded in death by his father Selby K. Rushing and his mother Mae Black Rushing.

The viewing and service will be at Peoples Baptist Church, 850 Mill Road, McDonough, GA. Viewing time will be Tuesday, September 23, from 6-8 p.m. and the funeral service will be Wednesday, September 24, at 11 a.m. A memorial service will be held at Lancaster Baptist Church in Lancaster, CA. More information about this service will be available at a later date.

Click here to read comments and condolences in the family's Guest Book. If you wish to make an entry in the family's Guest Book, please click here.

Comments

Pam said…
Pastor, that was a beautiful tribute, and I think your best post so far. As you spoke of Dr. Rushing and your dad being in heaven, I imagined them greeting each other and speaking of you. I did not know Dr. Rushing, but as you often say, "Heaven just got a little sweeter," and I look forward to meeting him some day on the other side!
Heather said…
I too loved this post! What a wonderful way to remember someone who has touched your life. I enjoyed the song that Sharon sang on Sunday as well. I never heard it before either.
Anonymous said…
Hey Pastor. Each week, Mrs. Hartman sends me a bulletin which is how I have stumbled across your blog. Sadly, this is one of the first I am reading. I remember Mr. Rushing quite well. He was a great man and the thought of him gone brings tears to my eyes. I remember his preachings. That man captured my attention every time he spoke. I'm sad the last time I heard him spoke was indeed the last time. I miss you, Pastor.

Popular Posts