Happy Birthday Jesus!

It is a little after 5:00 am on Christmas Morning and I must admit I woke up this morning feeling a little sorry for myself. Let me explain. Tuesday night I began running a fever so Wednesday morning I went to see Dr. Abbott and found out I have Strep Throat. Yesterday was an awful day suffering through all that goes along with strep throat, the fever, painfully sore throat, fatigue, and headache, etc. What was even more disappointing is that I could not do anything to make Christmas Eve special for Kim and Claire. I couldn't even hold Claire out of fear she would get sick.

I love Christmas - always have and always will. I can remember the excitement of waiting for Christmas to arrive and then waking up early on Christmas morning with the Christmas tree surrounded by presents. My parents did a great job making Christmas special and made sure I received great gifts. However, the greatest gift my parents gave me was the understanding of the true meaning of Christmas. I always knew that Christmas was about more than presents - it was about God giving us the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ, as our Saviour. Yesterday a good friend from Chatham County called me to let me know that his father had gone to be the Lord. I had the privilege of serving as my friends pastor while I was pastor of Antioch Baptist Church. Before I prayed with him I assured him that I knew the pain of having a father pass away, but I also possess the comfort that I will see my father again. I did not say good-bye, it was only good night. One glorious daybreak, when Jesus comes for His church, I will see my dad again! His father was a believer in Christ as well and he can have that same hope all because of God's great gift and our acceptance of that gift. Hallelujah, what a Saviour!!!

Last year I was a parent for the first time on Christmas. As great as all my previous Christmas celebrations where I believe last Christmas was the best by far. Claire was only 8 months old but it was still a joy beyond description to share this experience with my wife and daughter. For the first time in 14 years we were a family instead of a couple.

Since last year I have looked forward to this Christmas knowing that Claire, who turns 20 months old today, would understand everything much more than she did last year. I wanted to share this day as a family and with our extended families. I wanted to see Claire's face and watch her reactions throughout all the activities of the day. But instead of spending time with Kim and Claire and making memories I will be staying at home lest I make anyone else sick which I would never want to do. Even though I will miss being with family I am glad Kim and Claire will be able to go and enjoy it.

Again I must admit that I am a little bummed about today, but as I was beginning to feel sorry for myself the Holy Spirit reminded me that Christmas is not about me - it is about Christ. I may be focused on what I think I am missing and really regret how it affects Kim and Claire, but instead I need to remember this day is about celebrating the birthday of my Saviour. So I want to end this post and begin my day by saying with a heart filled with love and appreciation for Him - Happy Birthday Jesus!

Comments

Susan said…
Sometimes we all get caught up in the "Look at me" thing. Jimmy had to work last night and again tonight. It's hard for us. But I am glad that I have someone to come home to me. I know of several friends that have no mates. For three years Jimmy has given those inmates a pencil, an eraser, a candy cane, and a tract. He came home this morning at 6:00am with a note from an inmate. In part, this is what it said,"Thank you for the compassion you've shown during the season...It's nice to know that there is someone who cares and tries to share the Perfect Gift with us. I wish I was man enough to accept The Perfect Gift..." He was referring to the tract Jimmy gave. Please pray for Stacey, that he will realize that this Perfect Gift is available to even him. Have a blessed Christmas and remember that we love you, Pastor.
Anonymous said…
Katie was diagnosed with strep throat on Dec. 15th (after a 12:30 AM phone call to the pediatrician and a Sunday afternoon visit to her office). Travis and I have both been to see Dr. Abbott in the last week because we both felt terrible and thought that Katie had been kind enough to share her germs. Fortunately that was not the case but we both ended up on an antibiotic away. Nothing like family togetherness as we were all three on antibiotics at once. Praying that you feel better soon and that Kim and Claire stay healthy. Have as Merry a Christmas as possible Pastor!! Debbie Hartman

Popular Posts