My Hair Had A Party Last Night


Most people only get to see Claire after she has been cleaned up and dressed up to go out with a bow in her beautiful hair. I get the privilege of seeing her when she wakes up in the morning. There is nothing like walking into her nursery to find her excitedly waiting for me to pick her up out of her crib. Some mornings it is very interesting to see her bed head hair. It can be quite amusing, not that I don't have bed head hair, but mine isn't cute. Often, after greeting her with the tradition Japanese version of good morning (which sounds just like Ohio), I will begin singing the song, "My Hair Had A Party Last Night." If you haven't heard it before it is a really funny song.

Kim and I have heard Shannon Tanner sing each time we have taken a summer vacation to Hilton Head Island. This was our first summer to have Claire with us on this trip. The previous years it was an enjoyable but bittersweet experience as we would go to the Shannon Tanner concert with friends and look at the beautiful children enjoying the concert while their parents looked on adoringly. This year as Claire listened and danced around to the music we were included in the crowd of parents looking on with a smile on our faces, a lot of love in our hearts for Claire, and gratitude to God for giving us our precious little girl.

In fact I have looked that way at Claire everyday since the first time I saw her on "Gotcha Day." I can remember seeing men with their sons and thinking how great it would be to have a son. I would tell Kim that I wanted a son. While I still think it would be great to have a son, I have thought many times over the last 18 months that there is nothing like a "Daddy's Girl." I am looking forward to many more mornings getting amused at my beautiful daughter's bed head hair.

The picture with this post was taken just a few days ago after breakfast. She carried her books out to the sunroom so that she could read them on the couch. I have taken several pictures of her in the morning and hope to one day soon prepare a slideshow with the song for her to have when she grows up.

Comments

Kim said…
You are such a good Daddy! I love to watch you and Claire together. Thank you for being a great husband also, you are the love of my life.
Diane Teague said…
You are a great dad. Your heart is truly for Claire's spirtual growth and her well being. Thank you for that. How I have seen you both treasure this little girl. What you and Kim have brought into my life and now a BIG BIG Bonus in Claire. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Angie Tullock said…
Pastor, it is such a blessing to see you and Kim so happy and what a miracle and blessing Claire is for your family. Remember the day you have today cannot be done again so enjoy today and make many memories!
Patty said…
I love to read your Claire notes, because the pure 'daddy-love' shows through. You are an awesome daddy and a tremendous Pastor. God bless you and renew you daily, is my prayer for you.
David Spach said…
I know just what you mean about that hair thing. Phoebe and Joshua both get that - Joshua more than Phoebe as hers is longer now and gravity holds it at bay. Your posts are always great to read, you are a great father and a great example to fathers to-be and those who have some years under their belts. It is a priviledge to have you as my pastor.

Popular Posts